TravelThe word ‘travel’ is used to talk about going from one place to another.
It can be a verb, a noun or an adjective :
- Verb : Paul travels a lot in his job.
- Noun : ** Travel** nowadays is faster than before.
- Adjective : There is a travel agency beside the bank.
TripThe word trip is used to talk about a short journey somewhere for a purpose, business or pleasure.
- For our wedding anniversary, we went on a trip to Venice.
- My boss is often away on business trips.
- During our holiday we took a boat trip to the islands.
JourneyA journey is the distance covered when travelling from one place to another.
‘Journey’ can refer to a long distance or a short regular one.
- The journey was long and tiring. It took us 5 hours to get there.
- Did you have a good journey? Yes, it was quite pleasant.
- How long is your journey to work? Just about 20 minutes.
TourA tour is a journey during which several places are visited, especially on a holiday.
‘Tour’ can be a noun or a verb.
- Noun : We went on a tour of Italy.
- Verb : ** We toured** the north of India.
VoyageA voyage is a long journey by sea or in space.
- Before the 20th century, long sea voyages were common.
- A spacecraft will take you on a voyage through space.
I took a journey from Beijing to Shanghai last year.
- How long is your journey to school? -Only about 10 minutes.
She usually gets seasick during the voyage.
They made a voyage across the Pacific by air.
- trip 一般指时间短、距离近的"旅行、远足”，也可以指长途旅行。在非正式用语中可代替journey。只作名词。例如：
We made a boat trip to the island last week and had a good time.
I will be on a trip to / journey to the south next summer holiday.
- tour 着重指旅行线路比较曲折，常表示”（周游各地的）参观、访问、（巡回）旅游、视察、购物、演出"等意思。可作动词和名词。例如：
I will tour the world in the future.
My father has gone down-town on a shopping tour.
At present, many people are fond of travel in their spare time.
I am reading a book about the travel to North Pole.
They came home after years of foreign travel.
Light travels faster than sound.